Monday, June 24, 2013

Not moving, Still


I took this picture about four years ago. I like how it looks, like it's captured something moving, but it hasn't. It's a still rock. I seem to be attracted to this oxymoron; a still, moving picture. In contrast to this, but probably connected, a lot of the movies I am drawn to have a moving stillness to them.

I like movie directors and their cinematographers who are able to slow down time in the way they pace a movie. Two movies I've been enjoying like this are Jim Jarmusch's The Limits of Control and This Must be the Place starring Sean Penn and directed by Paolo Sorrentino. Many of the shots in these movies are like still photographs that move.

There's something about this slow pacing I find poignantly beautiful.  It seems to allow the viewer more time to contemplate the ideas being communicated. This is probably why I'm attracted to the still photos of certain photographers and what I look for or desire in my own work; a pacing which allows for a contemplative space, a mental intimacy.